Lancaster Barn was built in 1800, and over the centuries has had a number of rather interesting roles; firstly as a place for weary travellers to draw up their horses when passing along the new main route from North to South; then in 1825 becoming part of the local public house up until 1882, when the pub license moved up the road to the ‘Bay Horse Inn’ where it remains to this day. The Barn then played a further role in the local community as a Post Office, before settling into it’s life as a shelter for farm animals on the larger Bay Horse Estate.
We arrived in 2015, and began the redevelopment and transformation of the dilapidated Barn to B&B, working to delicately preserve the original stonework and heritage, whilst creating light airy spaces with all the aspects required by modern travellers.
The result is that Lancaster Barn is again filled with life and personality. With nine rooms, the Barn offers discerning guests comfortable interiors and rooms styled with solid oak furniture and original art. Outdoors, the garden and grounds are the perfect place for summer breakfasts or winding down in the evening over a chilled bottle of wine. Our new greenhouses, market garden, and soon-to-come herb garden, all playing their part in guests stay.